The triplex metering fuel pump represents a substantial step forward for EFI technology in small engines. The triplex provides high-pressure regulated fuel delivery of particular application to heavy fuel and gasoline engines. Its unique phased three-piston design, combined with an integrated control system, gives very precise regulation of fuel delivery across a wide range of pressures.
The triplex is an enabling technology for heavy fuel engines, providing high pressure fuel that is able to be finely atomized using Currawong’s unique atomization technology.
A special feature of the pump is built-in precision measuring of fuel flow without having to rely on separate meters and other non-design-intent hardware. This feature can be used throughout system development, and is particularly useful when used with a dynamometer as Brake Specific Fuel Consumption can be easily calculated in real time.
Features of the triplex pump include:
- Self priming ability
- Integrated electronics that provide precise fuel pressure and flow metering
- Three phased pumping cylinders to provide a smooth fuel delivery without the use of a fuel accumulator or mechanical regulator
- Fully compatible with the Currawong ECU and with other ECUs
- Very low power consumption
- High pressure fuel delivery
- Entirely compatible with Cloud Cap Technology’s avionics as well as with other avionics systems
- Able to be deployed as a flow metering pump with < 1% error
The system can be used on its own, or can be used in conjunction with the Currawong ECU and other parts of integrated EFI systems.
An example of a typical configuration (that may be altered by changing the motor/gearhead configuration) is shown. The following figures are for a motor fitted with a 28:1 gearhead:
- Voltage: 15V
- Current: 100mA
- Pressure: 8 bar
- Pressure Regulation: within 2%
- Flow regulation: within 1%
- Flow Rate: 36 g/min *
* Flow rates up to 400 g/min (50 Hp) are in development